Thursday 30 November 2017

Out into the world ...


What an amazing evening it was on Tuesday - I was surrounded by so many friends and writing colleagues for the launch of "Digging Up The Family"; New Brewery Arts in Cirencester is a great venue and we celebrated there with wine, cakes and nibbles and, as always, a good open mic session afterwards. Nearly everyone read poems or prose inspired by family - I'd obviously touched a chord!

My family, both past and present, have given me so much in the way of inspiration for poetry and fiction as well as for the social history I've just published - I have a lot to thank them for. Through my research I learned so much about my forebears and the worlds in which they lived - and a lot about myself too. Time consuming and frustrating as it was at times, I'm so glad that I pursued the project and I'm delighted that readers are telling me how interesting they're finding the end result.

Before I launch into another major undertaking though, I want to tidy up and complete some smaller ventures I've been working on. Today of course is the last day of NaNoWriMo and the exercise I set myself for the month - the 1000 words a day of memoir - has provided some good (if somewhat disorganised!) material to incorporate into one of them. "Fragments", my people watching poetry collection, is nearing completion too. Perhaps the New Year will see a new direction - I've got several ideas but they all need some careful thinking through before I commit to anything!

My thanks to everyone who made Tuesday
such a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment