Monday 6 November 2017

A saving grace

I've been very fortunate in the past to have the experience of reading and writing poetry with people, vulnerable for a variety of reasons, in many different settings; I've seen so many examples of the benefits that it can bring. But if you've ever wondered at the practical value of poetry, do go to this site today -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/magazine-41852073/poetry-touched-the-still-alive-part-of-me

I found this immensely moving, to hear how the experience of creative writing has changed the life of Alex, a man homeless for 30 years. Hear him read his poem "In the worst of times ..." and find out how poetry reached what he terms "the still alive part of me."

In a similar vein - I was delighted on Friday to find out that a poem of mine will be included in the Carers UK anthology "Not In The Plan" which comes out at the end of the month. It was written for the Jo Cox Prize, in recognition of the contribution of young carers, and I'll be reading it at a celebratory event in London on November 30th. Our health and social care services in this country would collapse were it not for the huge input of family and informal carers and each year Carers UK provides a platform for poetry and prose celebrating their contribution. It's a real privilege to take part in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment