Tuesday 14 November 2017

Having the occasional break ...

Well, the NaNoWriMo challenge that I set myself is certainly proving time consuming but I am now 13,000 words in, so I'm beginning to feel that the memoir I thought was dragging its feet is now properly on the move again. But I did allow myself an evening off yesterday to go to hear a reading by my friend and colleague Belinda Rimmer in Waterstones, an event organised by the Gloucester Poetry Society - and I'm so glad that I did. All the poems Belinda read were new to me; many were based around memory and it was fascinating to hear her talk of their genesis. It made me ponder on how much of ourselves and our background we reveal in our poetry, if only our readers / audience have the key to unlock it. Thank you for a really lovely evening, Belinda.

Belinda Rimmer

I shall be speeding on with today's word allocation this afternoon so that I can justify another evening off tonight - with my colleague Kathy Alderman, I shall be going to Droitwich for the poetry reading arranged by the Worcestershire Poet Laureate, Nina Lewis, further to the art exhibition on show last month at Hanbury Hall. The reading will be illustrated by slides of the original paintings, all the work of a local art group. It's open to the public and we'd love to see you there if you're in the vicinity - 7.30pm  at Parks Cafe, Victoria Square, in Droitwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment