Sunday 25 December 2016

A Hopeful Christmas

As always it seems, Christmas news from around the world is far from what we
would wish. Destruction, fear and famine, anxiety for the future and sadness about the past - it's often hard to find any real "Christmas spirit". But two years ago, at a very difficult point in my father-in-law's life, a Quaker friend, an ex-student of his, sent in his Christmas card a bookmark with a Seamus Heaney quote. Since my father-in-law's death I have kept it on my desk and it's become a philosophy that I try to live by. Call it faith, call it the power of positive thinking, but I firmly believe that we have to look to the future with optimism that our actions can materially alter things, that we can make a difference in our own individual worlds.


Wherever you are, however this season finds you,
I wish you a hopeful Christmas and a peaceful 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment