Saturday 17 May 2014

Music on a Summer's Evening

I may be Welsh and I have certainly heard Cwm Rhondda sung a thousand times, in chapels and concert halls, at rugby matches and funerals. But I have never heard it sung with such joyous enthusiasm, such sheer musicality, as I did earlier this evening. The Caring Chorus, the choir I wrote about last Christmas, composed largely of staff from our local health trust, were giving their second recital in Gloucester Cathedral - and it was again an outstanding success. Their range is wide - under their superb conductor, they tackled everything from Czech mourning songs to 1960s pop via "Over The Rainbow" and "A Gaelic Blessing" - and to see the enjoyment they get from making music is just so inspiring. What a tremendous evening.

Getting ready to perform - Lucy Matthieson (founder) and the Caring Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment