Wednesday 7 May 2014

A Useful Family!

After a two week Easter break, my Exeter University course in Writing Family History has restarted. So much of my family background - and especially the social history in which it's encapsulated - has proved fertile ground for writing, often fictionalised but also as the basis for factual articles and essays. A lot of my poetry, too, has sprung from recollections of people and places from my past; a recent example was rooted in my grandmother's strong Baptist faith.



Remember the Sabbath Day

Nan and Pop c. 1950
There was something about that hat she 
wore -
Bible black, with netted brim
to catch the alleluias,
a trinity of purple flowers
that graced its band,
a pin to skewer Satan.

Her chapel hat. She'd ram it on
with prayer-booked hands in tidy gloves,
check the oven for the Sunday roast,
raise high the cross
and sally forth
to hymn her way to Zion.

(Copyright Gill Garrett 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment