Thursday 8 June 2017

A stiff challenge!

This week I've got a family commitment that leaves only occasional short slots in the day free - certainly no opportunity for any concerted writing. I somewhat misguidedly thought it might be an opportunity to experiment with some short restrictive poetic forms, not usually my preferred approach. So the odd half hours have seen early attempts at cinquain, tanka etc. - with some salutary results! The form that has completely defeated me is the englyn, the Welsh tradition with its strict syllabic counts, set rhyme and half-rhyme patterns: an incredibly difficult challenge.

The experience has, however, served to prompt my interest in more formal styles. But I think I shall postpone any further attempts until I have the time and energy to give them the concentration that they undoubtedly require!

No comments:

Post a Comment