Friday 12 May 2017

Fitting it all in

I'm just clearing the decks after a busy and interesting few days, in the hope that I can actually make some writing time today! There seem to be so many activities that are in some ways peripheral but in other ways integral to the writing process and so little time to fit them all in ...

But the Cheltenham Poetry Festival Players event at the Playhouse on Monday evening went well and we read to a good, very appreciative audience. I'm sorry to be missing several other promising Festival events because of other commitments, but I'm looking forward to the John Heggley workshop next Sunday morning. And then, before we know where we are, the Ledbury Poetry Festival will be upon us; if I had the time and the money, I think I could happily spend my days swanning around the countryside immersing myself in dawn to dusk poetry and all the accompanying activities that make these events so enjoyable.

Wednesday saw a very informative visit to Troubador Publishers in Kibworth, where I went for what was billed as a "self-publishing experience day". Matador, one of the company's self-publishing arms, had been recommended to me by a writing colleague and the team that I met and talked to about publishing "Digging Up The Family" certainly impressed. As most of my previous publishing experience has been with major conventional publishers such as Macmillan, I had a lot to learn. But at long last the manuscript is complete (although illustrations are still outstanding - they've now risen to the top of the ever-expanding "To Do" list so will probably account for most of the weekend!) - I'm anxious to get it out into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment