Tuesday 31 January 2017

Back in harness

A dull and damp end to January but I'm on cloud nine here - my fracture is healing well, I've started physiotherapy and I've now got two free hands to do things with! I shall be very careful on that step in future ....

Whilst the practicalities such as housework and cooking have got more than a little out of hand over recent weeks, I've rejoiced in the opportunity to catch up on a lot of reading - some for research purposes but a lot simply for enjoyment. I've been trying some new authors (new to me, that is) as well as going back to old favourites. "Cousins" by Sally Vickers I really enjoyed but the one that kept me reading well into the night was "The Improbability Of Love" by Hannah Rothschild. Multi-layered, with a huge cast of characters - each beautifully drawn - it's exuberant, witty and says a lot that is deeply meaningful but with the lightest of touches. Following the life story of a great work of art through four hundred years of  romance, intrigue, plunder, underhand dealing, you-name-it-the-painting-has-been-subjected-to-it, you can't fail to realise the depth of the author's knowledge as well as her skill in writing about it. If you haven't read it, do try to do so - it was shortlisted for the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction and would certainly have been my winning choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment