Saturday 11 August 2018

Shw'mae Caerdydd!


A great couple of days at the Eisteddfod in Cardiff. I've been learning Welsh (the language of my grandmothers and their forebears) for a year or so, though I'm not a natural linguist and progress has been slow. But the Eisteddfod was a great opportunity to listen and to practice, to enjoy and to play with the language; there was great encouragement for learners and being in such a vibrant, inclusive community has certainly spurred me on.

I spent hours - and a fair amount of cash - in the book tents. I was delighted to find several novels for beginners, proper adult ones; much though I enjoyed reading Fireman Sam and Spot the Dog to my children, I'd rather not have to read them in Welsh for myself now! And Thursday evening saw a tremendous concert with Pendevig - the whole evening in Welsh, no concessions for learners there, but with the music of that band no concessions are necessary!

Even the ice cream cones bore Y Draig Goch
(the Red Dragon)!

No comments:

Post a Comment