Sunday 19 April 2015

The place to be ...

After Friday evening, I think I can safely say that Deepspace in Charlton Kings will be the place to be for any future New Bohemians evenings; for poetry and music it's certainly going to feature large on the local arts scene. A comment which was made by one of the musicians, Chris Hemmingway, that those people contributing to the open mic were more like invited readers sums up the standard of work performed - it was excellent.

The evening's theme was "Heroes and Heroines". Headline readers were Robin Gilbert, David Clarke and Anna Saunders and Jennie Farley read from the wonderful "Jocasta's Song". A whole range of music complemented the poems, from zither to cello, through guitar and quite startling percussion (a specially commissioned piece by Dan Cooper, "Sound And Fury", introducing Jennie's work). The venue, run by Su Billington, lends itself so well to such creative ventures and a really great time was had by all. The next New Bohemians evening will be on Friday June 26th and will feature a poetry workshop run by David Clarke on poetic form - something to very much look forward to there.

And this coming week sees the opening of Cheltenham Poetry Festival 2015 with some tremendous events over the ten day period. Do look at the website if you haven't already and  come along to support local and national writers who cover the whole range of poetic styles. I shall be volunteering at some of the events and hope to see you there!

But, in the meantime, I'm now nearly two thirds of the way through NaPoWriMo - flagging a bit but determined to achieve it! I find walking my dog early in the morning provides very useful thinking time (especially with the wonderful spring scenery here in the Cotswolds now) and yesterday afternoon's work in the garden was quite fruitful too - although gardening is far from my favourite activity, today's effort was sparked by this azalea! It took me back to a very lovely garden of my childhood, my mother's pride and joy.



Becoming You

Prawns, chocolate brazils -
even my secret weakness are inherited,

and photographs confirm it:
I am becoming you,
features, stance, expression,
the way I hold a cup.

It's no longer "as my mother used to say" -
now your familiar phrases slide
from my tongue with practiced ease.

You, though, did not live to age.
Should I exceed your lifespan
(two years my senior at your death)
in the mirror will there be
the you I would have loved to know?

(Copyright Gill Garrett 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment