Thursday 2 April 2015

NaPoWriMo

As if there wasn't enough else to be keeping me occupied! But I couldn't resist the challenge of NaPoWriMo - to write thirty poems in the thirty days of April. Started by Maureen Thorson in Washington DC in 2003, heaven knows how many poets and would-be poets are now participating - you can post your poems on the internet for the world to see or squirrel them away for private consumption only. No competition, no payment, just the personal challenge of sustaining the creative energy and enthusiasm for thirty days ....

To be realistic, my attempts are likely to be in outline (for working on later) or in miniature (but then I don't think I was cut out to write epics anyway!). I've written before about my postcard collection and my April poems will be of no longer length than can be written on one.

The offering for April 1st was all of six lines long; it was inspired by a visit I made yesterday morning to an elderly relative, now living in a residential home in South Wales where she is cared for by the most wonderful, insightful staff and it's dedicated to them.

She lives on the edge of yesterday,
where the past leaks into the present.

But do not seek to plug the gaps -
what trickles through

replenishes exhausted soil
and flowers bloom again in an arid landscape.

(Copyright Gill Garrett April 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment