Thursday 18 February 2021

Goodbye to a good writing friend

After the bitter cold of the weekend and then the howling gales of earlier this week, this morning seemed like Spring Incarnate! I've written before about the effect rivers have on me - both soothing and stimulating - and the Wye this morning, lined by catkins, snowdrops and wild daffodils, was lovely. I can't think of a better way to start a day's writing than walking for an hour or so in that setting; I'm always aware of how fortunate I am to have it almost literally on our doorstep.

Tomorrow I have a less welcome event in the day - the funeral of my Catchword colleague Richard Hensley. He was an immensely popular man with a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, but in the present circumstances attendance at funerals is so limited. I'm really pleased that I shall be able to be there to represent all his friends at Catchword, a group he belonged to and to which he contributed so much over many years. He was a constructive and generous critic, a great source of scientific information should you need help with a tricky plot, fun to be with - and a prolific writer. I'm so delighted that he was able to see his magnum opus, the Star Stone trilogy, successfully published; I heard him read extracts from all three books at several different events and I'll always remember his beautiful bass voice and his commanding delivery. He'll be very much missed by us all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment