Thursday 12 November 2020

Row, row, row your boat ...

                                               

                                                

I was interested to read some research earlier this week about children's reading; apparently in one study children who had known eight nursery rhymes by heart by the age of four were amongst the best readers (and spellers) in their class by the time they were eight. There wasn't enough of a discussion in the article as to what other possible aspects could have influenced that achievement, and of course many nursery rhymes might now be considered questionable on the grounds of their approach to gender etc. but the underlying premise - that rhythmic recitation is actively beneficial as well as a fun activity - is one in which I firmly believe. Next week is World Nursery Rhyme Week with lots of activities planned for families all around the world. I have very fond memories of my own experience of nursery rhymes, both as a child and as a parent, and I'm convinced it laid the foundations for my love of language and poetry in particular.

Not that I want to think about Christmas yet (I'm afraid I'm a bit Bah, humbug! about it all) but I did come across a couple of other great ideas for children recently. The wonderful Cant a Mil Bookshop in Whitchurch in Cardiff is offering what it calls an Advent Calendar of Welsh Books, twenty four wrapped and numbered children's books (specially chosen with an individual's age and interests in mind) as an alternative to the chocolate variety. And a writing friend is writing and illustrating a special story for her children with chapters to read with them each day in December - perhaps a family tradition in the making there! 


No comments:

Post a Comment