Sunday 7 October 2018

Going into orbit




We had a great evening yesterday at the Holst Museum in Cheltenham. As part of the Cheltenham Literature Festival, the "Literature Crawl" included a "Planets" poetry event; individuals and groups visited the different rooms in the museum to listen to specially written poems inspired by the composer's interest in astrology and his famous "Planet Suite". The museum proved a popular venue on the Crawl and we had a very appreciative response to the poems. My contribution was on Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age, and my friend and poetry group colleague Frances March read her very moving and thought-provoking piece on Venus, the Bringer of Peace - much needed in the present climate.

I've written before of my gratitude to my poetry and writing groups - they provide me with tremendous support and the kind of constructive criticism we all need in our writing lives. So I was delighted to hear last night that Frances had been shortlisted for this year's Indigo Dreams First Pamphlet competition, and that our poetry group colleague Belinda Rimmer had actually won the award. That's another plus point about group membership - whilst we're certainly there to commiserate with each other over rejections and setbacks, we definitely get to celebrate each other's successes too!


... and I had the Servant's Room!
Frances March, reading in the kitchen ...




 





No comments:

Post a Comment