Saturday 16 September 2017

Form and Fragments

In interesting morning earlier this week - a tutorial with Angela France looking at less common poetic forms. I was very taken by the "decima" - of Spanish / Portugese origin, it has ten lines of eight syllables and a tight rhyming scheme. Having attempted one or two somewhat unsuccessfully since, I have high regard for the "decimistas" in Latin America who apparently have fast moving "battles" to improvise the form on stage!

Most of the week, however, has been spent by the hospital bedside of a family member. I had thought that my "Fragments" people watching project was coming to a close, but the experience has certainly re-ignited it. Whilst the physical hospital environment has changed dramatically since I began my nursing career many years ago, so much of what goes on within it has not changed at all - dramas great and small are played out, hopes are raised or dashed, families come together or fall out in the highly charged atmosphere that illness imposes. The observer in a hospital ward has a ring-side seat; what more could a writer ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment