Thursday 4 February 2016

Water, woods and words

Place makes such a difference to our feelings, our energy, our creativity. Last Friday evening's New Bohemians workshop at deepspace (I always want to give it a capital letter but it doesn't have one!) in Charlton Kings made me really conscious of that. It's a venue that really lends itself to that sort of activity - you just can't fail to be inspired there. Especially by the dedication of Su Billington who runs it; keeping such a venue going with all the funding problems inherent in that sort of project must be incredibly wearing but her enthusiasm never fails.

deepspace exhibits

Then on Saturday morning we were at the Suffolk Anthology in Cheltenham for Anna Saunders workshop on prose poetry. Another place which inspires and energizes - it's a really lovely, comparatively new, bookshop and the owner, Helen, is so welcoming. Sitting in the basement surrounded by poetry books definitely had the effect of prompting the creative spirit in the fifteen of us who were there. And the coffee and cakes on offer were an inspiration too!

But this morning I certainly felt that I was in the company of the greats. I was walking in the Wye Valley and waxing lyrical to my partner about the beauty of the woodland we were in and the river glinting in the sunlight below us; suddenly we came across a quite isolated cottage with the plaque below embedded in the wall. If Wordsworth was so inspired by this view, how could I fail to be?! Straight home to put pen to paper ...

How oft in spirit have I turned to thee
O Sylvan Wye
Thou wanderer through the woods
How often has my spirit turned to thee!

Wordsworth






No comments:

Post a Comment