Tuesday 20 October 2015

Looking beneath the familiar


Catchword, my writing group, had an “AwayDay” yesterday in the small Cotswold town of Painswick. After coffee at the Patchwork Mouse, we explored individually for a while, seeking inspiration in the historic buildings and fabulous surrounding countryside. Then, after a very good lunch at the Butchers Arms in Sheepscombe, we adjourned for a writing afternoon at one of our number's home.

I have lived not ten miles from Painswick for more then twenty years and have visited often during that time but, thinking about the day later, I thought how true my friend Susie's comment was - 'The interesting thing is that if you go to a place to write, then the place becomes more interesting because you look at it with an artist’s eyes rather than being  detached or disconnected from it. Writing gives you a more direct connection ... and this may be something to remember in other places, even those that are familiar.'

I certainly saw in Painswick yesterday so much that I had overlooked before - and gained a lot of inspiration for new writing. Watch this space as they say!




No comments:

Post a Comment