Wednesday 6 May 2015

Found poems

Lately I've been reading up about, and reading a lot of, "found poems". In the past it hasn't been an area that has much interested me but I'm beginning to see the attraction of taking other written forms and refashioning them into something original. Over the last few days I've been trying my hand at the odd cento - I had no idea that they represented a tradition going back so many centuries. Currently I'm working on a biblical one (I have always found the King James version beautifully poetic) but you may well recognise some of the lines in the following! Hope you'll agree though that they make an interesting and thought-provoking combination in such a different context.

I had not thought that it would be like this -
in the full clutch of circumstance
I was much too far out all my life.

I saw the danger yet I walked along the enchanted way
alone and did not mind,
walked on at the wind's will -
knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted I should ever come back.

So mindless were those outpourings!
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
worthless as withered weeds.

(Copyright Gill Garrett May 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment