Friday 20 March 2015

World Poetry Day

Tomorrow is World Poetry Day. However, tomorrow I won't be blogging but, hopefully, on my way to a remote cottage in deep woods in Pembrokeshire for a week's break. I've got several novels loaded on my Kindle and a couple of poetry books ready to come too - I'm planning on a restful few days with the time for reading I rarely get at home!

But, as I chose the poetry books to take with me, it occured to me that I'm probably more than a bit parochial in my choice. Nearly all the poetry I read is British or North American; I must be missing an awful lot of interesting writing from further afield, from which I could learn a great deal. I can't think that I've read any African poets, or many South American ones. I've read some Japanese works - mainly in the haiku tradition - but nothing else from Asia. So I'm resolving when I get back to look more widely on the poetry shelves and try to get a more global perspective.

The Poet

They say the poet
unties a boat on a lake,
rows it from one world to another.

They do not tell
how she must learn oarsmanship,
get the feel of wind and water,
how she loses a paddle midstream,
circles wildly.

They make no mention
of wash from larger vessels,
unnerving and distracting,
of taking on water,
of baling out a fragile craft,
or righting it in stormy weather.

No, only the poet knows
the slack water, tangled weed,
the stagnant pools and devious currents,
the unseen rapids
between casting off
and coming safe to land.


(Copyright Gill Garrett 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment