Wednesday 31 December 2014

Looking Forwards, Looking Back


This wonderful photograph of my paternal grandmother was taken on the eve of her marriage in 1891. I love the intent look on her face as she stands motionless in the photographer's studio; but what intrigues me more is what is in her mind - is she looking forwards to her new life or looking back on her old?

"Looking Forwards, Looking Back" is the working title of a section of the family history book I'm currently writing. But it also seems an appropriate motto for today - New Year's Eve, a time for planning ahead on the writing front but a time of reflection too. What has gone well over the past year, what (albeit small!) success has been achieved? I've learned a lot over this last twelve months and I'm very grateful to the poets and authors I've read and heard, to the tutors who have taught and challenged me on different courses, to my peers in writing groups who have commented on my work and supported me in it. 

But now to the future. I'm old enough and hopefully wise enough to avoid the "resolutions" trap (the tremendous initial burst of enthusiasm, the good intentions that bite the dust half way through January etc.) but some realistic planning before the odd drink later today may be in order - so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment