Friday 26 July 2013

Looking forward to "Gaining Confidence ..."




On Monday I'm off to Ty Newydd for the week - an event I've been looking forward to since January! I think mine was probably the first application for the course at the Welsh writer's centre at Llanystumdwy; as soon as last year's course there ended I was planning this next visit - I love it there.

For those of you who are not familiar with Ty Newydd, it was Lloyd George's last home and he is buried a couple of hundred yards down the road on the banks of the River Dwyfor. The house is set in fabulous grounds with views over Criccieth Bay and is the epitome of faded elegance. Literature Wales runs a variety of creative writing courses there - poetry, prose, play writing, writing in health and social care - some a week long, some over weekends. This will be my fourth visit and I've not been disappointed in any of the courses I've done so far. The tutors have been excellent, the accommodation comfortable, the food good - one evening in the week you're expected to help out preparing dinner, but that's all part of the fun of it.

Next week's course is on "Gaining Confidence In Poetry and Prose". The two tutors are Paul Henry for poetry (I heard him read last year at the Much Wenlock Poetry Festival and was hugely impressed) and Tom Bullough for prose (I've not met him before but his reputation goes before him). I'm expecting great things of the week, so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment