Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Stories and Storytelling

                                                          

Given the scrapes my now sixteen week old puppy is getting into, I've been sorely tempted to start a children's book entitled "What A Mess!" Certainly when my children were young I would regale them with stories about a pup of that name who was causing chaos in his new home - as is Bryn in mine now. Those tales, along with ones about the More Please Fairy and Thermople the Bear (after a teddy we came across in Blaise Castle museum in Bristol) saw us through many car journeys and long country walks. But actually writing for children is a highly skilled occupation (as many "celebrities" have found out); I'm not sure my skills are up to it.

Another highly skilled occupation of course is that of the oral storyteller. This weekend sees the Festival of Storytelling here in Monmouth, two days full of events around the spoken word, some family ones, some adult ones. I'm really looking forward to the three that I've booked for. Do check the programme if you're in the area. Our Savoy Theatre is one of the oldest in Wales, it's won a lot of awards and it's the ideal place to listen to expert storytellers weaving magic with words.

It was the autumn equinox this week, the turning point into darker days. Harvest Festivals - very much a feature of my childhood - have been celebrated in local churches, but I've noticed how there's also much interest now in other and perhaps older traditions, especially Celtic ones, associated with the time of year. I particularly like the story behind Mabon. It's based on a tale in the Mabinogion about Mab ap Modron, a baby stolen from his mother. The child is kept captive until freed by the heroic Culhwch and a posse of wise animals. This lovely story symbolises youth and the promise of life and renewal after a period of darkness. As one who finds the cold, dark days of winter very trying indeed, it's one I certainly hold on to! 


No comments:

Post a Comment