Tuesday 13 August 2024

Heading in the right direction

2024 is turning into a bit of a roller-coaster of a year. The ups have been really good ups but the downs have certainly been fairly traumatic downs. For someone who is normally very fit and healthy, recent weeks have been a real trial but I'm hoping now that the apparent upward trajectory is going to be a sustained one. There's a lot of catching up to do! Writing projects have had to take back seat and are certainly not going to flourish in that position.


I was delighted last week though to find Once Upon A Time In Wales on sale amongst only a handful of English language books at the National Eisteddfod in Pontypridd. I spent a day there with my daughter and, despite the rather iffy weather, thoroughly enjoyed it. The Gorsedd Ceremony, with all its tradition and symbolism, was hugely impressive - and, despite the proceedings having quite a bit of archaic Welsh in them, I was very cheered by how much of the language I now understand! Unfortunately I wasn't able to go again on the Friday when Mike Parker, who taught me at Ty Newydd and whose books I so enjoy, was received into the Gorsedd. Many, many congratulations to him for this tremendous honour.

Are you sitting comfortably?
Then I'll begin ...

Another thoroughly enjoyable visit was yesterday's to Writers in the Library in Cirencester, where I was the guest speaker. It gave me the opportunity to meet up with old Gloucestershire writing friends but also to hear some new voices at the open mic session afterwards. Many thanks to Liz Carew and Frank McMahon, the organisers, for inviting me.

And now down to work. The proof copy of my forthcoming poetry collection landed on the mat this morning - very exciting!   


No comments:

Post a Comment