Tuesday 3 November 2020

Changes and chances

I've just finished correcting the proofs for my poetry collection, which will be off to the printers later this afternoon. Though when the book will see the light of day remains to be seen! Just as we here in Wales are almost out of lockdown, England (where the printers are) will be heading back into it. And I think the printers have only just cleared the backlog from Lockdown Mark One.... There are far more important things happening in the world just now of course, but it's certainly throwing yet more plans into disarray.

I'm part of a small peer group who periodically set themselves objectives for their writing which are shared and discussed with colleagues and then reviewed regularly - I find it a very useful focusing and motivating strategy. But over the last eight months my objectives have had to be very fluid; several  long planned projects have proved unachievable in the present situation (interviews and other research visits no longer possible etc). But when a project is completed - and the collection has been a work in progress for some time - it's certainly very gratifying. And the changed landscape has encouraged me to resurrect some old, shelved ideas - a couple of which, for example, have turned out to have life in them for radio scripts. So whilst 2020 has definitely not proved the writing year I'd hoped it to be, it's still proving an interesting, if challenging, one!

No comments:

Post a Comment