Sunday 5 April 2020

NaPoWriMo

You would think that self-isolating would allow so much time for writing, making progress with projects, moving forwards. But I seem to be in the company of a lot of other writers finding that "having nothing on" actually means being quite busy with the minutiae of everyday life - and that the stress of the present situation isn't really conducive to ready creativity.

Five years ago I took part in NaPoWriMo - and vowed never to do it again! I'm not a fast writer and my poems usually need a long gestation before they see the light of day on the page. I'm always so envious of those who, after a twenty minute exercise in a workshop, can work a mini miracle! But I've decided to take the plunge again this year; I know it's only day five but I'm hanging on in there. If last time is anything to go by, the end of the month may only see three or four poems worth the name but a lot of writing from which to take ideas, to incorporate into other work. If you're doing the challenge too - good luck with it!

I'm very heartened to see that the BBC news website has had one poetry item each day lately - usually an actor or well known personality reading something appropriate to the circumstances. I was reduced to tears on Thursday by the television presenter Sophie Raworth reading the poem "These are the hands" - it was written by the children's author Michael Rosen for the 60th anniversary of the NHS, now himself hospitalised with Covid -19. If you're not familiar with the poem do check it out - it's very simple but an outstanding accolade to everyone who works in health care.


No comments:

Post a Comment