Monday 14 May 2018

Writers on the radio

This morning I'm recovering at the desk after yesterday's ten mile charity walk we did in aid of breast cancer research at Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff; perhaps I'm not quite the girl I used to be! But the sun shone as we walked the beautiful banks of the River Wye, clambered up Symonds Yat Rock and enjoyed the company of fellow walkers. Hopefully we'll have raised a good amount of money between us (350 walkers on seven different Wye routes) - it's all for an excellent cause.

Now it's down to work on preparing for a new venture I'm starting next month. I was delighted to be asked recently if I would present a fortnightly programme on NHSound, the community radio station in Abergavenny. I've written a lot on this blog about Rona Laycock's programme "The Writer's Room" on Corinium Radio in Cirencester; over the years I've much enjoyed contributing to it and occasionally hosting it. I'm hoping to put together similar programmes for NHSound, to give local writers a platform for their poetry and prose and to promote and discuss local writing-related events. If I can keep my mind on the matter in hand that is! The view from the studio window - looking out over the mountains - is amazing; after the second floor, town centre facilities used by Corinium Radio, where the window has to be kept closed against the traffic and street commotion, it seems luxury indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment