Thursday 27 October 2016

Friends old and new

It's been a stressful week with some major family traumas. I'm so aware that at times of crisis - and of loss especially - I turn more and more these days to poetry books and my "old friends" in them. "The Book Of Love And Loss" edited by Rosie Bailey and June Hall (Belgrave Press) is a great bedside companion in those circumstances; I've given a copy to friends in similar situations and know how much they've valued it too.

I've had a birthday during this last week as well though, and a lovely present from my daughter - "Whatever The Sea, Scottish Poems for Growing Older" edited by Lizzie MacGregor (The Scottish Poetry Library and Polygon 2016). About ageing they may be, but these poems are not all full of gloom and doom! Far from it - they certainly recognize the challenges of ageing but celebrate the positives too - many are witty and very life-affirming. Do have a look at a copy if you can - and I promise you won't have to be "ageing" to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment