Tuesday 15 March 2016

Recognizing one's limitations!

Spring obviously sprang whilst we were away. This morning when I was walking my dog I was delighted to find the hedgerows alive with primroses and violets; this afternoon I did part of the Wordsworth Walk in the hills up above Llandogo and, despite an overcast sky and a chilly wind, there were signs everywhere of emerging shoots and budding branches.

Half a lifetime ago I knew the area now designated the Wordsworth Walk well - but then it was not so clearly marked and had none of the story boards and inscriptions that outline the poet's love of the surroundings and grace those woodland tracks and viewpoints. Many of the strategically placed benches that look out over the stunning scenery have quotations carved on them. One which was particularly special to me in the past carries the wonderful lines ".. their colours and their forms were then to me / an appetite, a feeling and a love". I sat there for a while trying to compose some lines of my own - but found such a precedent just too intimidating!

No comments:

Post a Comment