Friday 1 January 2016

Happy New Year!

Dreary, damp weather here to welcome the New Year but there's so much to look forward to in 2016 it's difficult to feel down with it. This morning my friend Anna Saunders sent me a poem that really encapsulates the feeling of a fresh start and, although it's entitled Poem For A New Day, it seems ideal as a poem for a New Year -

Poem For A New Day

Something's moving in,
I hear weather in the wind,
sense the tension of the sheep-field
and the pilgrimage of fins.

Something's not the same.
I taste the sap and feel the grain,
hear the rolling of the rowan
ringing, singing for a change.

Something's set to start,
there's meadow-music in the dark
and the clouds that shroud the mountain
slowly, softly start to part.

Matt Goodfellow

And another friend, Richard Hensley, sent me greetings that I pass on to all my writing friends and colleagues everywhere - "May your keyboards always be active, your prose deathless; may publishers worship at your feet and may you never lose your grip on reality (unless you want it that way!)". Here's to a happy, healthy and productive year for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment