Tuesday 8 September 2015

Back on the trail ...


After quite a long break, last week we resumed our Wales Coastal Path walk - in wonderful late summer weather and, despite the notice in the photo above, with no untoward events! There's some spectacular scenery on the Glamorgan stretch of the path and interesting history to follow up on. The only down side - I had thought I'd broken in my new walking boots sufficiently before setting out but unfortunately now have the odd blister to show for it - largely I think from upping and downing across Kenfig Dunes, sand walking never being easy on the feet.

I'm always interested in the local myths and legends of the places we visit and they abound in the areas we've passed through here. Kenfig was a large medieval town, the largest in Glamorgan until, in the 14th century, the sea and then the dunes encroached upon the land to the extent that it became uninhabitable. Sand now covers everything except a very few stony remains of the castle. But legend has it that, if you visit Kenfig Pool at dusk on an autumn evening, you will hear the church bell toll beneath its waters ....

Kenfig Pool

On another stretch, near Cwm Nash, we came upon the remains of an old mill in quite isolated woodland, by the side of a rushing stream that tumbled down towards the sea. I could find out little about its actual history but, as I explored it, my mind was busy weaving stories. I wondered about who might have built it, what events the stones had seen over the years. Such fertile ground for writing! As we covered the miles that day I had all sorts of companions walking by my side - ones who may well see the light of day in forthcoming stories. As always for me, walking provides such great opportunities.


No comments:

Post a Comment